Guelph Fingerprinting Services

Canadian Fingerprints From Overseas

Steps for getting a certified criminal record check

From outside Canada
To submit fingerprints to the RCMP’s Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services (CCRTIS) from outside of Canada, you must first contact the local police of jurisdiction where you are staying outside Canada and who can provide you with a copy of your fingerprints. Ensure you get the name and address of the police agency as well as the signature and name of the official taking the fingerprints. Also ensure all ten fingers are taken with black ink.

Next, you must contact an accredited company within Canada who can convert the paper fingerprint forms taken outside of Canada and submit them to CCRTIS electronically.

Guelph Fingerprinting Services has been accredited by the RCMP to submit electronic fingerprints to CCRTIS in support of criminal record checks.

From inside Canada
Criminal record checks that involve the use of fingerprints are known as “certified criminal record checks.” If the local police or your employer request fingerprints for your criminal record check, two steps are involved:

Step 1: Have your fingerprints taken
Contact your local police service or an accredited fingerprinting company to have your fingerprints taken. You will be asked to review information on your application form prior to the police agency or authorized agency submitting it to the RCMP’s Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services (CCRTIS).

Ensure all information is accurate and complete prior to submission to CCRTIS in order to avoid having to re-submit your application and further processing fees.

Step 2: Provide the following information to the person taking your fingerprints
Inform the local police agency or accredited fingerprinting company of the reason for the certified criminal record check. It can include:

Adoptions – Canadian and International
Foreign travel – Visas, U.S. Waivers, Border Crossing
Employment – specify the job title and the name of the employer (do not use abbreviations)
Volunteer work – specify the job title and the name of the business/organization
Applications for immigration to Canada
– In the “Name and Address of Contributing Agency/Department” portion of the form, you must include the name and address of the Canadian Immigration Center, Embassy, Consulate or High Commission handling the case.
Applications for Canadian Citizenship
Applications to obtain criminal record to apply for a record suspension
Name change
Permanent residency in foreign countries (all countries except Canada)
Requests under the Privacy Act (criminal record report will not contain the RCMP seal)
Indicate the reason for the criminal record check because the release of information may differ depending on the reason for the check.
If you require criminal record checks for different reasons (e.g. Visa, Record Suspension) then a separate submission and fee is required for each.
If you are applying for a vulnerable sector check, you must also provide the name of your employer, the title of the position and the description of how the position deals with vulnerable persons.
Optional: Verify the status of your application
Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services (CCRTIS) receives a high volume of requests and replies to them in the order they are received. Contact us only if your application has taken longer than the processing times indicated. Provide the following information:

Your full name
Your date of birth
The date your application was submitted to CCRTIS
Provide the reason for the criminal record check and specify if the application is for a vulnerable sector check
A phone number where you can be reached on weekdays during the day
The document control number (DCN), if available